Saturday, June 9, 2018

Weeds

Matthew 13:24-43 New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Weeds
24 Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25 But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26 When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

27 “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’

28 “‘An enemy did this,’ he replied.

“The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’

29 “‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’”

Sometimes you let the weeds grow... how many times have you decided that you would prematurely remove the weeds/bad? How many times have you decided that you were going to take control of the situation and separate the good from the bad in your life before it was time? There are times when bad things actually produce beautiful fruit.

I let my weeds grow (not out of necessity,  but sheer laziness). Then, I began to think it was too late to plant my garden (maybe my laziness was hoping it was too late lol). In the mornings I like to go out in the backyard and listen to the birds, wake up by ingesting too much coffee (Lord forgive me),watch the trees sway in the breeze, pray, and begin my day.

So these weeds... they are tall... I'm embarrassed to say, some as tall as my grill. But I started to see them all begin to form and come together. And the longer I sat I begin to think of the functions of each of them. Some of them have thorns, some of them do not, some are tall some sort,  some have seeds etc. I began to think that maybe people don't like weeds because they are generally ugly, and aggressive to their "good" plants.


We love to decide what's good and what's bad for us, right?! We know better than anyone else  what's best, right? Kind of like a child thinks they know best,  but the creator/ parent essentially knows more.

So these weeds were obviously created for some purpose in nature,  hence their rapid growth.  Just as bad situations in our life have been put in front of us to help us grow and to become better people.

Eventually I found about five different kinds of weeds. Previously I hadn't even stop to notice that the plants that were forging my backyard or actually each individual species. Over the spring I have watched them grow and change, never really expecting a positive outcome, I mean they are weeds what positive can come out of a weed?

Then I noticed buds... but flowers have buds, so I thought (I know, I'm so bright). I waited patiently for these glorious flowers to present themselves,  never knowing who or what they were,  just having faith that something pretty had magical been implanted by a bird.

This morning there they were!



Verbascum blattaria, or moth mullein, is a flowering biennial weed belonging to the Scrophulariaceae family. An invasive species native to Eurasia and North Africa, it has naturalized in the United States and most of Canada since its introduction.

Look at that beauty, from a weed.  I have always said, that out of cow poop comes flowers,  and that bad situations can essentially lead to something glorious... this is that representation. I waited,  I allowed for natural growth,  and I was rewarded. 

Stay open,  be patient,  enjoy beauty,  embrace your struggles and your weeds... now it's time to cut these bad boys and girls down ;)

Be blessed, 

Little Servant doni

No comments:

Post a Comment